Scripture tells us that it’s always more blessed to give than receive. Christians should always give to the homeless and needy. God loves a cheerful giver. Christians are to be kindhearted and loving with everyone even with our enemies. If we have it and a poor man asks for something and we don’t help, how is God’s love in us?
Think about it. We have money to buy our favorite sweets, to rent a DVD, to splurge on things, but when it comes to someone other than ourselves it becomes a problem.
When it comes to others selfishness starts to kick in. We are told to be imitators of Christ. Was Christ thinking only about Himself when He died on the cross? No!
What does the Bible say?
1. Romans 12:13 Supply the needs of the saints. Extend hospitality to strangers.
2. Hebrews 13:16 Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.
3. Luke 3:10-11 And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then? He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.
4. Ephesians 4:27-28 for anger gives a foothold to the devil. If you are a thief, quit stealing. Instead, use your hands for good hard work, and then give generously to others in need.
5. Matthew 5:42 Give to everyone who asks you for something. Don’t turn anyone away who wants to borrow something from you.
6. Proverbs 22:9 Whoever has a bountiful eye will be blessed, for he shares his bread with the poor.
7. Proverbs 19:17 The one who is gracious to the poor lends to the LORD, and the LORD will repay him for his good deed.
8. Luke 6:38 Give, and it will be given to you. A large quantity, pressed together, shaken down, and running over will be put into your lap, because you’ll be evaluated by the same standard with which you evaluate others.
9. Psalm 41:1-3 For the choir director: A psalm of David. Oh, the joys of those who are kind to the poor! The LORD rescues them when they are in trouble. The LORD protects them and keeps them alive. He gives them prosperity in the land and rescues them from their enemies. The LORD nurses them when they are sick and restores them to health.
10. Proverbs 29:7 The righteous considereth the cause of the poor: but the wicked regardeth not to know it.
11. 1 Timothy 6:17-18 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate.
12. Psalm 112:5-7 Good comes to those who lend money generously and conduct their business fairly. Such people will not be overcome by evil. Those who are righteous will be long remembered. They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the LORD to care for them.
13. Acts 20:35 In every way I showed you that by working hard like this we should help the weak and remember the words that the Lord Jesus himself said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”
14. Psalm 37:26 The godly always give generous loans to others, and their children are a blessing.
15. Proverbs 11:25-27 The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself. He that withholdeth corn, the people shall curse him: but blessing shall be upon the head of him that selleth it. He that diligently seeketh good procureth favour: but he that seeketh mischief, it shall come unto him.
16. Psalm 112:9 They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor, their righteousness endures forever; their horn will be lifted high in honor.
Greedy VS Godly
17. Proverbs 21:26 Some people are always greedy for more, but the godly love to give!
18. Proverbs 28:27 Whoever gives to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to poverty will be cursed.
Give not with a grudging heart.
19. 2 Corinthians 9:7 Each of you must give what you have decided in your heart, not with regret or under compulsion, since God loves a cheerful giver. Besides, God is able to make every blessing of yours overflow for you, so that in every situation you will always have all you need for any good work.
20. Deuteronomy 15:10 Be sure to give to them without any hesitation. When you do this, the LORD your God will bless you in everything you work for and set out to do.
Be kind to one another
21. Galatians 5:22-23 But the Spirit produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, humility, and self-control. There is no law against such things as these.
22. Ephesians 4:32 And be kind to one another, compassionate, forgiving one another just as God has forgiven you in the Messiah.
23. Colossians 3:12 As holy people whom God has chosen and loved, be sympathetic, kind, humble, gentle, and patient.
Giving to your enemies
24. Romans 12:20-21 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
25. Proverbs 25:21 If your enemy is hungry, give him some food to eat, and if he is thirsty, give him some water to drink.
26. Luke 6:35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
27. Deuteronomy 15:7-8 If there should be a poor man among your relatives in one of the cities of the land that the Lord your God is about to give you, don’t be hard-hearted or tight-fisted toward your poor relative. Instead, be sure to open your hand to him and lend him enough to lessen his need.
28. Matthew 19:21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”
29. Acts 2:44-26 And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had. They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity.Report this ad
30. Galatians 2:10 All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I had been eager to do all along.
Bonus: We are not saved by our good deeds, but true faith in Christ will result in good works.
James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
- “The more you give, the more comes back to you, because God is the greatest giver in the universe, and He won’t let you outgive Him. Go ahead and try. See what happens.” Randy Alcorn
- “A lack of generosity refuses to acknowledge that your assets are not really yours, but God’s.” Tim Keller
- “Be someone’s sunshine when their skies are grey.”
- “When you open your heart to giving, angels fly to your door.”
- “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.”
- “We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.” – Ronald Reagan